I love experimenting with new recipes, especially when I have a group of people to try them. For Thanksgiving breakfast, I was looking for the perfect recipe to bring a smile to the face of my family. After searching through my saved pins on Pinterest, I stumbled across a delicious-looking Blueberry Breakfast Cake. Credit goes to Alexandra of http://www.alexandracooks.com. This seemed like just the thing to make for a quick but delicious addition to the potluck-style breakfast festivities.
If you love melt-in-your-mouth cake and blueberries, you are in for a treat!
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter
– 7/8 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
– 2 tsp lemon zest
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 2 cups flour (save 1/4 cup to toss with blueberries)
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp sea salt
– 2 cups fresh blueberries (just about 2 small cartons)
– 1/2 cup buttermilk
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Wisk butter with lemon zest & 7/8 cup of sugar until fluffy
3) Add the egg and vanilla to the mixture. Beat until they are well combine.
4) Toss the blueberries with the 1/4 cup flour that was set aside.
5) Wisk together the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
6) Add this dry mixture to the batter a little at a time until it is well blended, alternating the mixture with the buttermilk.
7) Fold in the blueberries.
8) Spread the batter mixture into your pan. Sprinkle the leftover sugar onto the top of the mixture. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. It may take longer depending on your oven and the pan used. Mine certainly took longer than 45 minutes.
9) Cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
This delicious breakfast treat will have your family coming back for more all morning!